Charming Chalkboard Frame Chalkboards have so many practical uses around the house! You can display the dinner menu on them, write your to do list, or just allow the kids to get some colored chalk and have some creative fun. The only problem is, chalkboards have not always had a decorative element to them. Finding one that fits into your décor can be tricky, and buying one at your local home decorating store can be quite expensive. So what is your alternative? You make your own of course! You don’t need a great deal of supplies or cash on hand to create your own charming chalkboard frame. You can design your own charming chalkboard frame to match the color scheme of your own décor, and in a variety sizes that will fit your space best. Take a look below at how simple it is to whip up your very own.
DIY Charming Chalkboard Frame:
- Picture frame. It can be any size you choose. The more decorative the frame the better! The durable cardboard insert should still be in the frame as well. Check local thrift stores for a great and inexpensive frame or use something you already have. Chalkboard Paint. You can buy this in spray or roll on form at your local craft store. It is around $7.99, but if shopping at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby take your 40% off printable coupon with you.
- Paint in any color or finish of your choice. Spray or roll on is fine.
- First, disassemble your frame. Take out the glass and cardboard inserts and set aside. Discard the glass.
- Paint your frame the color of your choice and set aside to dry,
- Using your chalkboard paint, apply one layer to the cardboard insert and set aside to dry.
- While it dries, apply another coat of paint to the frame.
- Add a second coat of chalkboard paint to the cardboard.
- Allow all piece to dry for at least 2-3 hours before assembling again.
- Allow the chalk paint 24 hours to dry before writing on it.
A few helpful tips and tricks:
- Remember, whenever working with paint take your time and don’t rush the process.
- If the cardboard insert is flimsy, just replace it with a heavier piece. You can find assorted widths at your local craft store.
- Allowing the coats of chalk board paint to dry well between coats will help create a firm writing surface.
- Before writing on your chalkboard, dust it with chalk dust and wipe with a soft and dry cloth. This will help condition the surface and make it better for writing on.
- If you wish, you can get a vintage look by taking a mid grade sandpaper and lightly sand the corners of the frame removing some of the paint.
As you can see, it is quite simple and inexpensive to create a charming chalkboard frame perfect for your household décor. Not only are these frames decorative, but you will find that they are pretty purposeful too. Hang one in your children’s playroom, in your kitchen, or even above a fireplace mantel for a fun and decorative touch!
Gather your supplies and give this DIY on a dime a try this weekend!