There was much discussion at the SCS Strategic Shopping Seminar about where to send those expired coupons. Did you know that the military families that live overseas on military bases, can use those? They can use expired coupons up to 6 months after they have expired!!
Many of you wanted suggestions on where to send them so after much research I have been able to get you some places to send them to!
Reader Kim emailed me with a woman who actually sorts through the coupons that are sent overseas that lives in England. Here are some helpful hints that she included if you decide to send over your coupons:
PSC 37 Box 3867
APO AE 09459
1. Must say Manufacturer Coupon – Please no store brand coupons (Target, Walgreens, or brands that are specific to such stores)
2. Must be able to see Expiration Date – If the coupon expires March 1st, we can use it until Sept 1st. Please try not to hold on to coupons too long. Some groups hold onto them until they have a full box, but then alot of the coupons at the bottom are already past the 6 months and can not be used.
3. Must have entire bar code and must be able to read barcode.
4. Sorting and cutting are NOT required, but do help – We do have some volunteers that help sort coupons, but if you would like to help, we sort them by month. We do this for two reasons. One is that it makes “cleaning house” each month easier and each family can grab a bag of coupons and get a variety of items.
5. If you work with a group and have a lot of coupons, I would encourage you to check and see if a flat rate envelope or box would be in your best interest.
6. On average a box or large envelope will take about 7-10 days to get here. Letter and Business envelopes take about 3-4 days. During peak mailing times (such as Christmas) or a natural disaster (Icelandic volcano) times can increase.
7. If you would like an email confirmation that we received the coupons, please put a small note with your name and email address in the box/envelope. When I pick up the coupons at the Post Office, I take some of the boxes/envelopes to our AFRC for other volunteers.
8. Please DO NOT use staples or post it notes directly on coupons. Some post its have a very strong glue and will rip the coupon when trying to remove it.
We can accept internet coupons, as long as they meet the same guidelines.